Today is Halloween! October 31st! That means if you haven't already, you will have little ghosts, goblins and princesses showing up to your door and asking for treats and goodies. I hope you were able to read the post from last week about the Teal Pumpkin Project and possibly put together some allergy-free treats for your trick-or-treaters.
I also wanted to share with you some scary Halloween nutrition facts, because it is fun and ends up being eye opening. These statistics are brought to you by Daily Burn.
- Americans spend ~$7.4 billion dollars on Halloween candy, costumes and decorations each year.
- Americans purchase 90 million pounds of chocolate during the week of Halloween.
- There are 41 million potential trick-or-treaters between the ages of 5-14 years old in America.
- Each year, 35 million pounds of candy corn is produced for the Halloween/Fall season.
- If you ate an apple cider donut, you would have to do 54 push-ups to burn it off (~330kcal).
- Do you love the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte? If you drink a tall (~380kcal) you need walk for 134 minutes to burn off those calories.
- Did you know there are 10.5g of sugar in a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and this happens to be American's favorite Halloween candy.
- You would have to do 17 minutes of burpees to burn of 1 bite-sized Snickers bar (~160kcal).
- Wondering how much your pillowcase can hold in terms of candy - 1,690 pieces of candy to be exact.
- On Halloween, children collect any where from 3,500-7,000kcal worth of Halloween candy in their pumpkin pails.
I don't want you to know that I don't love Halloween, the treats, goodies and decorations. I love celebrating holidays, but I think it is important to remember that you or your child do not need ALL the Halloween candy. Trying to keep moderation at the fore front of your mind is the main message. Enjoy your time trick-or-treating, taking pictures and dressing up. Just try to be active, burn off those extra calories and make sure you have a healthy dinner before you head out. Have a safe and wonderful Halloween!