If you live in Indiana you have probably heard that the State Fair is open and under way! I grew up in 4-H and the State Fair was always a huge deal in the summer time. Along with 4-H projects, exhibit halls, livestock shows, and the rides the fair has a ton of food. All of this food smells delicious as you walk around the fair and it is just tempting you to stop by a booth and purchase something delicious.
If you are trying to be healthy and follow a healthy life style going to the fair and encountering all this tempting food may be overwhelming. Well I have some great tips to help you navigate the State Fair in a healthy way!
1. Share your food. Go to the fair with a friend and suggest splitting he food you purchase. This means that you get to try some new foods and don't have to eat the entire meal yourself.
2. Take a lap or maybe two. Walk around at the fair and explore all the livestock barns and exhibit halls. This can be a great form of exercise and can help you burn off a few calories along the way.
3. Watch what you drink. Lots of sugary beverages contain quite a few calories. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help keep you hydrated and feeling satisfied.
4. Set a limit. The fair is a great place to eat delicious food, but make sure that you set some limits for yourself. For example, you can have 1 ice cream cone, 1 fried food item and you will plan to drink water throughout the day. Setting expectations can help you feel food about your fair food choices.
5. Keep your eye out for healthier alternatives. There are some healthy choices available at the fair like roasted vegetable kabobs, grilled lean meat options, frozen yogurt or fresh fruit.
Keep these healthful tips in mind as you head out to the State Fair! Enjoy the sights, sounds and smells as you participate in this fun summer tradition.